About us
Who is the Springton Progress Association?
The Springton Progress Association (SPA) is a committee of local residents from the geographic boundary of Springton that work to organise and undertake projects and activities to improve Springton and the sporting and recreational facilities to residents. The SPA also own and manage the Springton Hall and surrounding grounds as a community resource inclusive of the tennis courts, playground and surrounding land.
The Springton Oval and pavilion is owned and tended by the Barossa Council (with an active role taken by local residents in watering the grass and tree plantings). The management of the oval is comprised of coordination with the Dept of Education, Barossa Council and an SPA Representative.
The hall and the pavilion at the oval, both of which are available for hire. The Hall is a magnificent resource for the community and perfectly suited to weddings, functions, art exhibitions etc. The Hall has a large main area, with stage, as well as an adjacent ‘supper room’ and a sizeable kitchen facilities.
Our mission is to improve the morale and community spirit of Springton and environs by:
organising regular community events; supporting events organised by other local groups; and enhancing and maintaining the streetscape and assets of the town.
There is a noticeboard to the left of the post boxes at the Springton General Store which is kept up-to-date with meeting dates, upcoming events, contact details and other relevant information.
History
The Springton Progress Association was established back in 1928 with the establishment of the tennis courts bought from the church and school reserves. The hall was built in 1938 and many concerts, dances and orchestra sessions were held over the years. The oval opened later in 1960 and continues under a tripartite arrangement between the Education Department, Council and the SPA.
During the war years 1939-45 Red Cross functions and welcome home socials for returning service men and women were held.
Past Major Projects
In 1953 the SPA applied and succeeded in getting electric light poles installed at the Post Office, hotel corner and Graetz Tce corner. The first playground equipment was purchased in 1968. In 1976 the pavilion near the oval was built. In 1988 the overhead lights were erected at the tennis courts and new public toilets were built in 1990. 1993 the tennis courts were re-surfaced. 1996 the tourist information and guide board was erected at the Herbig Tree*. In 1998 major repairs were made to hall floors due to water damage and a fence erected around the playground. In 1999 painting of the walls and oiling floors was undertaken and stonework repointed.
Projects completed in the past 20-30 years are many and varied and include: Re-roofing and rewiring of the hall. Salt/moisture damage fixed in the hall. Re-surfacing of tennis courts*, Settlers Wall construction, fountain, cenotaph and flag pole*. 150th anniversary wall design and construction co funded between SPA & Regional Arts SA grant.